01 February 2008

Dante Alighieri

[from Canto V of Dante Alighieri's Purgatorio, translated by Jean and Robert Hollander]

"Perché l'animo tuo tanto s'impiglia?"
disse 'l maestro, "che l'andare allenti?
che ti fa ciò che quivi si pispiglia?

Vien dientro a me, e lascia dir le genti:
sta come torre ferma, che no crolla
già mai la cima per soffiar di venti;

ché sempre l'omo in cui pensier rampolla
sovra pensier, da sé dilunga il segno,
perché la foga l'un de l'altro insolla."

Che potea io ridir, se non "Io vegno"?



'Is your mind so distracted,' asked the master,
'that you have slowed your pace?
Why do you care what they are whispering?

'Just follow me and let the people talk.
Be more like a sturdy tower
that does not tremble in the fiercest wind.

'For any man who lets one thought --
and then another -- take him over
will soon lose track of his first goal.'

What could I answer but 'I come?'

Purgatorio

1 comment:

  1. what can I say? I understand. Even when I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete